Ughhhhhh it’s that time of year where I look at my list and realize there are a lot of things that I’m not going to be able to cross off. It’s a depressing feeling, especially when it’s coupled with the anticipation of rolling out my 2017 list.
But hey – I did a lot of things this year; adventurous, creative, original things that aren’t on my list. So instead of dwell on the crap I didn’t get done, I’ll diverge and think of the cool stuff that did happen, somewhat unexpectedly.
10 Things I Did in 2016 That Aren’t On My List
- I went to Barcelona – That’s right, I started the year with a jaunt to Spain for three days packed so full of sightseeing that I barely remember it. I had tapas, saw La Sagrada Familia, walked around Park Guell, and toured the mountains at Monserrat.
2. I drank Hurricanes in New Orleans – It was another whirlwind trip to a new place, where I explored as much as possible in something like 36 hours.
3. I celebrated our 10th anniversary in the Presidential Suite – That’s right, Obama stayed there. We had pizzas delivered to the top floor and partied with our closest friends. We had so much fun that we forgot to take more than two pictures…
4. I spent three days learning with the smartest people I know – This might not be a big deal to other people, but Thor always tells me, “Never be the smartest one in the room.” Getting to hole up in Jim Knight’s house learning about his new book is pretty much the coolest thing ever.
5. I coached an undefeated soccer team – I had never coached boys’ soccer and they had never been on a team, but we went from zero to hero in one season. And we did it again in the fall!
6. I got a better job – In the most polite way I could, I told the old job to “Take this job and shove it,” and after something like four years of searching, I’ve finally found the perfect fit.
7. I went to Greece…with a bunch of middle schoolers – We saw everything you can imagine; we ate everything you can imagine. I touched Agamemnon’s tomb and swam in Grecian waters.
8. I took a chocolate making class – And let me tell you, it’s a lot harder to make chocolate than you think. My friend, May, and I discovered that it’s not something you can just whip up at home so I’ll stick to roasting my own coffee.
9. I saw Drake live – A little early birthday present to myself with my friend, Courtney. We spend up to Tacoma after work on a Friday and experienced all that is Tacoma.
10. I spent Halloween in Vegas – Not that it was the first (or last) time, but you get the idea…
So to all those items I might not have checked off on my bucket list for 2016, it wasn’t because I was sitting on the couch or spending too much time at a miserable job. I got out there, I lived, I conquered.