Last week I posted about my venture to run 30 days in a row. I knew it would be hard, mostly on a mental level. And I’ll put it out publicly that I totally crapped out this week.

I made it 13 days in a row, pretty successfully I might add. Then on Monday I had taken a day off work to see the chiropractor and sign our taxes. Fitting a nice leisurely run would be incredibly easy. Yet, while checking in at the chiropractor, I realized just how much my body was hurting. My right calf had a huge knot, both my knees were a little tender, and for some reason my right shoulder felt off. I think subliminal red flag went off. When the doctor asked if I was training for something specific, I said, “Noooo, just seeing if I can run 30 days in a row…?” She laughed and said, “Well typically we suggest some rest days in between…”

That was the morning. After signing my taxes and having lunch with Thor, I headed home…straight to the couch. I watched like four episodes of Girls and took an intense nap. By 8:00 that night I was like a slug. I just didn’t feel like running.

On Tuesday, I said to myself, “Ok – you slacked one day…you haven’t given up. You took a much needed break.” My run that day was great and I had a lot of energy.

On Wednesday, I planned to run before work (at 5am) because I had my FBI Academy right after work. Of course, when I woke up, it was pouring rain and there was no sign of a sunrise. I didn’t run. You could chalk this up to laziness, but I actually have a pretty firm rule that I don’t take risky runs. 1) I don’t want to get hit by a car (thus running in the dark is a no-go), and 2) I don’t want to get assaulted (thus running alone in the dark is a no-go). I made an executive decision to stay home.

On Thursday, I ran a training at another school (with my buddy Angela) and by 3:30 I felt like I was coming down with something flu-ish. 

On Friday, I was pounding Emergen-C at my desk to fight off any sickness, and I held up the white flag.

So ok, I didn’t get to 30 days…yet. I believe in listening to your body and while physically I know I could have kept going, I’m not sure pounding my knee into the pavement for 18 more days was a good idea. Like the doctor said, a body needs rest. And so does my mind.

Today is Saturday and I’m headed to Mt Tabor for my normal Saturday Morning Stair Run with very fresh legs.

One thought on “Failure

  1. Pingback: The most awesome experience ever | Small European Country

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s