About a year and a half ago, I wrote a post entitled “The Upshot” because I had such a crappy day that I needed to look at the upshot. This started because I create worksheets for my students called “The Upshot” where they have to finish sentence prompts with an upshot of a horrible situation. I usually only pull them out when my 6th graders are big whiny babies (and come to think of it, they have been a little ungrateful lately…) but man I’m having one of those upshot kinds of weeks.
I was SO looking forward to my two whole weeks off work – that’s the whole point of being a teacher! But right as I was leaving school last Friday, I could feel a fever coming on. I tried to sleep it off, thought I felt better, but now it’s a full week later and I’m couch-bound with a case of Bronchitis. According to Google, it can last 3-4 weeks. WTF?! So I’m going back to work the same way I left it?!
Sitting on the couch all week (and, no, we don’t have cable) means I’ve watched a lot of daytime talk shows. The theme this week seems to be people (particularly children) with debilitating diseases. I keep trying to remind myself things could be worse. Apparently I need a dose of my own medicine…
1. I’ve been stuck on the couch for 6 full days of sickness. The upshot is that I’m completely caught up on The Young & the Restless.
2. I haven’t been able to attend any fun holiday festivities with my friends. The upshot is that I won’t have to worry about working off all those empty holiday cocktail calories at the gym.
3. Every time I want to say something, I am overwhelmed with a coughing fit. The upshot is that Thor didn’t really want to hear my opinions about The Young & the Restless anyway.
4. I don’t feel good enough to go do anything, but I don’t feel bad enough to sleep all day. The upshot is that I’ve really kept up on loading and unloading the dishwasher, and the Christmas Tree is already taken down.
5. I haven’t been able to sleep through a single night because of my horrible coughing. The upshot is that the cats really enjoy the nocturnal feeding schedule.
6. I had really hoped to do some nice long runs over the break. The upshot is that I need new running shoes anyway so I can spend a hell of a lot of time researching which ones I want on the internet.
7. The internet was out alllllll day today. The upshot is I took the best post-breakfast nap of my life.
8. And yet, I feel like I might have exhausted all that the internet has to offer. The upshot is that I read a book!
9. We only have 3 channels on our TV. The upshot is that one of them is QVC and Thor got me a $150 giftcard to spend on the best damned kitchen appliance I never knew I needed.
Here’s to tomorrow!